In 2009, EPA amended the SPCC rule to strengthen certain provisions, requiring regulated facilities to amend and implement these changes as part of their overall SPCC plans by November 10, 2010. The proposed extension of the compliance date would extend the date by which the owners and operators of certain facilities must prepare or amend and implement an SPCC plan by one year to November 10, 2011.
Facilities not eligible for proposed extension that must comply by November 10, 2010:
- Drilling, production or workover facilities that are offshore or that have an offshore component, or
- onshore facilities required to have and submit facility response plans (FRPs), due to the threats these facilities could pose of significant oil spills to navigable waters or adjoining shorelines.
Facilities that may be eligible for the proposed one year extension:
- oil production
- electric utility plants
- petroleum refining and related industries
- chemical manufacturing
- food manufacturing
- manufacturing facilities using and storing animal fats and vegetable oils
- metal and other manufacturing
- real estate rental and leasing
- retail trade
- contract construction
- wholesale trade
- other commercial, transportation, arts entertainment & recreation
- other services (except public administration)
- petroleum bulk stations and terminals
- hospitals & other health care
- accommodation and food services
- fuel oil dealers
- gasoline stations
- information finance and insurance
- warehousing and storage
- religious organizations
- military installations
- government facilities
How should I prepare?
If your company is not eligible for the extension, you must maintain your existing SPCC Plan and amend and implement the new plan according to SPCC regulations 67 FR 47042, no later than November 10, 2010.
If your company is eligible for the extension then you should follow the EPA decision to extend the compliance date to November 10, 2011. EHS Support will monitor progress on this decision and keep you updated on important conclusions.
To discuss how to maintain your current SPCC Plan or amend your Plan, please contact Jessica Tierney at 412-779-1094 or Jessica.email@example.com; or Amy Bauer at 251-533-6949 or Amy.firstname.lastname@example.org.